The purpose of the LFS is to provide information on the economically active population. The main objective of collecting data on the economically active population is among others to provide basic information on the size and structure of Botswana’s workforce.
Unlike the first and second Labour Force Surveys, the 2005/06 survey collected information from persons aged 7 years old and above while the previous surveys collected information from persons aged 12 years and above. The inclusion of the 7 years and above category was to measure the extent of child labour in this country. The coding of the occupations was based on the 1988 International Standard Classification of Occupation (ISCO-88), whilst the definition of the informal sector is in accordance with the 1993 System of National Accounts (SNA -1993). Few questions were asked about the informal activities and migration status of the labour force as this survey was mainly designed to capture information on the labour force characteristics.
The broad objective of the survey was to obtain comprehensive data on the status of the labour market prevailing in Botswana.
More detailed objectives were;
• To provide measures of both current and usual economic activity.
• To obtain a measure of the size of employment in both formal and informal sector.
• To provide measures of unemployment and underemployment.
• To estimate the extent of child labour, obtain child employment activities and reasons for working.
• To estimate total population for the period.
The survey data would provide, among others, baseline information on indicators of employment and unemployment levels, and information necessary that can be used to develop, manage, evaluate and report on labour market policies.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Units of Analysis
- Individuals aged 7 years and above
The 2005-2006 Botswana covered the following topic:
• Household and population characteristics
• Currently Economically Active population
• Seeking Work
• Discouraged Workers
• Currently not Economically Active population
• Usual Activity
• Secondary Activity
• Informal Sector Employment
• Hours Worked
- Actual Hours Worked
- Actual Hours Worked
• Income form Employment/Business
• Child Related Activities (new topic)
Labour force, Labour market, employment, unemployment, education, income, occupation, industry, child labour, working hours, conditions of employment, occupational health and safety, migrant labour
Producers and Sponsors
Central Statistics Office (now Statistics Botswana)